No. 17 Gators Swamp Men's Tennis 7-0
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Bethune-Cookman dropped its third meeting with a nationally ranked team this season as No. 17 Florida downed the Wildcats 7-0 Wednesday afternoon at Linder Stadium at the Ring Tennis Complex.
Florida improved to 12-9 while the Wildcats slipped to 12-13 as both teams prepped for the final weekend of regular season play. B-CU will host South Carolina State and Florida A&M in a pair of key Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference matches Friday and Saturday while the Gators have a pair of nationally ranked Southeastern Conference teams -- #8 Kentucky and #14 Vanderbilt – coming to Gainesville this weekend.
“They [Florida] are a top 20 team and they played like one today,” said B-CU Head Coach Tim Pleasant. “Florida was mentally stronger and played the important points better. But I’m proud with how we played. The scores do not do justice to the effort we gave.”
Pleasant gave credit to Juan Varon, who dropped a 6-2, 6-2 decision to Stephane Piro, ranked #125.
“Juan lost six break points and had many opportunities to stay with their number one guy,” Pleasant said.
After taking a 1-0 lead by sweeping doubles, the Gators took all six singles matches in straight sets.
“Bethune-Cookman came out and competed today,” said Florida coach Bryan Shelton. "It’s tough to travel for a mid-week match with school and everything else going on. We were able to jump on top quickly in doubles and played great. They put up a fight in singles but we played solid across the board.”
B-CU’s Leonardo Lima had his eight-match winning streak snapped at No. 3 singles. The Wildcats, who opened the season against ranked teams Miami and Florida State, dropped their fourth straight.
#17 Florida 7, Bethune-Cookman 0
1. #125 Stephane Piro (UF) def. Juan Veron (BCU), 6-2, 6-2
2. #102 Florent Diep (UF) def. Santiago Lobelo (BCU), 6-1, 6-2
3. #117 Bob van Overbeek (UF) def. Leonardo Lima (BCU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Mike Alford (UF) def. Diego Garavito (BCU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Gordon Watson (UF) def. Moritz Pronath (BCU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Luke Johnson (UF) def. Gilbert Rotich (BCU), 6-3, 6-1
1. Piro/van Overbeek (UF) def. Lobelo/Garavito (BCU), 8-3
2. Alford/Johnson (UF) def. Jackson/Lima (BCU), 8-0
3. Diep/Watson (UF) def. Varon/Pronath (BCU), 8-2
Records: Florida 12-9, B-CU 12-13