Welcome to Game Day Wildcats Fans
Bethune-Cookman (0-0) at Tennessee State (0-0)
2013 John Merritt Classic
L.P. Field - Nashville, Tenn. (68,798, Natural Tifsport Bermuda Grass) | September 1 | 8 p.m. EST
Televised on ESPN3: Watch Online | Radio: CatEye Network on WELE 1380: Listen Online (Free)
Live Stats: Tennessee State | Game Sponsors: Ritchey Cadillac Buick GMC, Vince Carter's Restaurant
|ABOUT THE GAME
The Wildcats look to avenge a tough 21-14 loss to Tennesee State at home in a major Classic, at an NFL stadium, before a national viewing audience. The Wildcats are facing a tough Tigers squad, but are primed and ready to go and show out for the 2013 campaign.
DURING THE GAME
You can follow live stats at the link listed above, and the game will be broadcast live on ESPN3 for eligible cable providers and XBOX Live. As always, view our postgame coverage online approximately one hour after the game’s conclusion, with new additions to give fans the most complete postgame information possible.
JOIN IN THE CONVERSATION ON TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM
BETHUNE-COOKMAN QUICK HITS
QUICK NOTES ABOUT THE TENNESSEE STATE TIGERS
Quarterback Michael German will not make the starting lineup this time around, after connecting on 9-of-17 passes for 157 yards in Daytona Beach, setting up the Tigers' run game with him performance. German will be suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season, and Tennessee State lists freshman Ronald Butler as the starting quarterback for the opener.
Edgewater native Telvin Hooks returns in the backfield, rushing for 67 of his 475 yards in 2012 against the Wildcats. Last season, the Tigers went to the tight significantly, and TE A.C. Leonard returns this season, logging a team-high 101 yards against B-CU last year and a team-leading 744 receving yards on the season.
|SEVEN THINGS TO CONSIDER ON GAME DAY
1) Bethune-Cookman is 3-0 in season openers under Jenkins and 12-1 since 2000
2) B-CU hasn’t opened a season outside of Florida since 2004, when it beat Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 27-14
3) B-CU’s lone victory in the series was a 16-13 decision IN NASHVILLE back in 1987
4) A win moves Jenkins past Charles Wesley Moore into fourth place for All-Time Coaching Victories with 28
5) Look for the ‘Cats to score; B-CU has only been held without a touchdown once in the 35-game Jenkins era
6) Eddie Poole has a pass catching streak running at 35 games
7) Isidore Jackson has scored a TD in 8 straight games