14 Points About The Miami Game
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Points to ponder when you watch Bethune-Cookman face Miami Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.
1) Brian Jenkins matched Wesley Moore (1973-75) as the Wildcat coach who made it to 20 victories the fastest with the win over South Carolina State. Moore reached 20 in his 25th game with a 48-0 romp over Alabama A&M in 1975. Jenkins is now 20-5 and 14-3 in MEAC play.
2) B-CU is looking for its second 3-0 start in the Jenkins era and fifth since 2000.
3) Thanks to rushing performances of 130, 103 and 100 yards for Isidore Jackson, Rodney Scott and Brodrick Waters respectively, in game one, the Wildcats posted the only game in the NCAA to feature three 100+ yard rushers for the first week of the season. Division III member Worcester State came the closest, with gainers of 156, 119 and 99. It was the first time an FCS school accomplished the feat since Georgia Southern in the 1999 I-AA Championship Game.
4) With the addition of a WatchESPN/ESPN3 broadcast early in the week, this will be the 12th television appearance for B-CU in the Jenkins era. The Wildcats were on a record six times last year and are slated for at least four this season, with Alabama State and South Carolina State down, Miami Saturday and Florida A&M closing out the season. Over the past three years, B-CU has been the MEAC's most televised team with an 8-3 television record in that span.
5) The Wildcats are fourth in the FCS in turnover margin (+2.5 per game) and tied for eighth (3.5 per game) in sacks.
6) Dion Hanks' two-pick game against South Carolina State propelled him into a tie for second in the FCS nation for interceptions per game.
7) Defensive end LeBrandson Richardson is tied for the FCS national lead in sacks with an average of 2.0 per game.
8) During the Jenkins era, the Wildcats have scored at least 10 points in 24 of their 25 games. The lone exception was a 22-3 loss at North Carolina A&T last season, the week after the Miami game.
9) Before last year's loss to UM, B-CU had won five consecutive games in south Florida dating back to 1999, including a 30-17 victory over Florida Atlantic in then-Pro Player Stadium. That game featured three interceptions by Rashean Mathis, now in his tenth season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
10) Eddie Poole has caught at least one pass in each of his 25 games in Bethune-Cookman uniform, despite not registering a catch at Rutgers, and recovering from not one, but two, catastrophic knee injuries...pretty good for a guy that some questioned his chances of playing again. He had a touchdown against the'Canes last year that gave B-CU an early 7-0 lead.
11) Sven Hurd has made 44 consecutive PATs and 57 of his last 58. He led the team in scoring with 67 in 2011 and currently heads the team with 17 points. Last year, the junior set the single-season program scoring record for kick scoring (67) in addition to single-game scoring (16) vs. Fort Valley State on Oct. 15.
12) The Bethune-Cookman football program received the Football Championship Subdivision Athletics Directors Association (FCS ADA) award for academic progress for Most Improved Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) school, after improving to an APR score of 935 during the 2010-11 school year.
13) Bethune-Cookman's current eight-game winning streak is the sixth longest active streak in college football, trailing only Wisconsin-Whitewater (46), Case (10), Grand Valley State (9), Harvard (9) and Texas Christian (9).
14) During this run, the Wildcats have outscored opponents 305-126.